Re: Man page problem: all hypens(-) are being replaced by <AD>

*- On 10 Oct, Rob Mahurin wrote about "Re: Man page problem: all hypens(-) are being replaced by <AD>"
> On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 06:59:29PM -0500, Brian Servis wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Recently I all my hypens(-) in my man pages have started to show up as
>> a highligted <AD> and not hypens.  What would be causing this?  The
>> relevant package versions are listed below.  This is hybrid slink
>> system with lots of package compiled from potato sources.
>>
>> man-db 2.3.10-69n
>> groff 1.11a-7
>>

> Perhaps you might try setting the LESSCHARSET environment variable, or
> the parallel for whatever pager you're using.  Mine is "latin1".

Ok.  Less is my pager.  Setting LESSCHARSET to latin1 fixed the
problem. But how do I fix this system wide without setting LESSCHARSET
in all systemwide shell startup scripts.  The less man page says that if
LESSCHARSET is not set then it uses the setlocale system call to
determine the correct character set from the LANG and LC_TYPE
variables.  Execution of locale returns

LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

Since less doesn't seem to know what POSIX is then it breaks with <AD>.

So what is the culprit in this situation, less or locale? And what
changed recently to start producing this?  The only thing that has been
upgraded on my system that I can see affecting this mix is man-db, less,
locales and groff are slink versions.

Thanks,

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.