Re: Netscape and its cache

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 03:22:12AM -0400, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I specified in Netscape's preferences disk cache of
> 1000kBytes. However, whenever I go and "du ~/.netscape/cache", I
> invariably get some huge number:
>
> 3,5M    cache
>
> And this is because I deleted its contents manually several days ago.
>
> Now, even funnier. When I do "Clear Disk Cache" from the same
> Preferences dialog, it only clears a small fraction of the space
> used. Here's what I saw after clearing:
>
> 2,8M    cache
>
> So it only cleared 700K. This pisses me off. Any ideas, anyone?

I noticed the same thing.  It is broken as far as I can see.  I added
the following line to my crontab:

  5    0   *    * 0    /bin/rm -rf /home/tgakem/.netscape/cache

This completely removes the cache once every week.  After I start
netscape when the cache dir is gone, it pops up some error window, I
click OK or something like that, and continue with a neatly cleaned
disk.  It's not ideal, but workable for me.  I don't belong to the crowd
that gets annoyed if they have to restart netscape every week.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)