/dev/lp0 quit after kernel "modulized"...

Howdy all,

I've had everything working great on my system for a long time, BUT with
EVERYTHING compiled into the kernel - I had trouble a while ago using
make-kpkg... the kernel_image worked fine, but modules_image didn't do
anything but echo back some script... Anyway, I finally used the 'make
modules' 'make modules_install' method, recompiled my kernel with most
stuff as a 'module', and now printing doesn't work:

monkeyhouse:/home/rich# cat temp.txt > /dev/lp0
bash: /dev/lp0: Operation not supported by device

However, the output of 'lsmod' shows that lp and parport are loaded....
any ideas?

Module                  Size  Used by
lp                      4280   0  (autoclean) (unused)
parport                 6444   0  (autoclean) [lp]

Thanks in advance,

Rich