RE: Problem resolving $(hostname) with DHCP

> On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 12:48:38AM +0000, Andre Majorel wrote:
> > I've just moved to a site where they use DHCP with W95 clients.
> > I've managed to configure my (and a colleague's) good ol' Hamm to
> > insert in the network with dhcpcd 0.70-5 but some problems
> > remain :
> >
> > >From   To     Operation   Results
> > -----  -----  ----------  -------------------
> > Linux  NT     SMTP        OK
> > Linux  NT     POP3        OK
> > Linux  AIX    HTTP        OK
> > Linux  NT     HTTP        OK
> > Linux  AIX    ftp         ftp prints "connected to xxx" then hangs
> > Linux  Linux  ftp         ftp prints "connected to xxx" then hangs
> > W95    Linux  ftp         ftp prints "connected to xxx" then hangs
> > Linux  W95    ping        OK
> > Linux  Linux  ping        ping hangs
> > Linux  W95    traceroute  OK
> > Linux  Linux  traceroute  traceroute hangs
> >

> I would say there are problems with ICMP & UDP protocols.
>
> JY

Sorry if I came in late on this.  I lost the original
message...

I work at a place where everything is run on nt that
can be.  (It's a pain, but that's the corp world)
We use a dns from ms that integrates wins and dns.
It works good for the ms folk but not so good for
all the unix folk.  You will get an ip address and
the domain name servers with dhcp but your (linux)
hostname won't go into dns.  If your site uses ms-dns,
then you might have the same problem.  Try using
ip addresses in the ping instead of host names.
You can see your ip-addr by using ifconfig.

Even if this is part of your problem, I don't think it
wouldn't explain the ftp problem you are having...

jim