Re: restarting daemons

Hi,
To turn off the sunrpc/portmap daemon (or whatever it's called) in potato you can
just do an 'update-rc.d -f portmap remove', and '/etc/init.d/portmap stop'. Then it
will be off and won't restart. If you ever want it to start up automatically again
you'll have know it's priority in the rc?.d dirs though, as update-rc.d removes all
the symlinks in those directories.

If I remember right in slink you need to comment out several lines in
/etc/init.d/netstd_init (netbase,netstd_misc... hmm not sure which), then restart
that init.d file.

BTW a much better way of seeing what services are listening for connections on your
machine (as opposed to portscanning) is to get the package 'lsof' and do an 'lsof -i'
as root.

Hope that helps,
Chris Schleifer