potential problem upgrading netbase

I was upgrading netbase on a remote potato machine, when apt-get just stopped.
(This seems to be a problem with the postrm script from the old netbase
package, judging by what happened later). I hit ctrl-C and dpkg said something
to the effect that the old postrm failed, and tried the postrm from the new
package, but then aborted with an error message, something to the effect of
"/etc/init.d/inetd: not found".

Apparently it was expecting /etc/init.d/inetd to still be there. I had to
create a phony (executable) /etc/init.d/inetd to get the upgrade to work
properly.

This looks like a breakage of the old postrm script... if that is so, is there
any mechanism in place to correctly handle this problem during upgrades? If
someone less experienced tried to upgrade netbase it could cause a lot of
grief.

I can't remember the old version number right off (I was too worried about
losing my network connection to that machine so I didn't record anything), but
it's a recent potato version of netbase.