Re: potato: procps and bsdutils conflict?

Hwei Sheng TEOH <hsteoh@cs.toronto.edu> writes:

[...]
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/bsdutils_1%3a2.9w-3.1_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/bin/kill', which is also in package procps
[...]
> However, I was just wondering, is it really the case that both bsdutils and
> procps contains the program /bin/kill? Are they the same, or are they
> different versions? Is the alternatives mechanisms in place for /bin/kill?
> Apparently there's some problem with both packages containing the same file?

There's been discussion about this recently on debian-devel.  IIRC,
the bsdutils version of kill is not linux-specific, but is not
well-supported upstream, the util-linux version is well-supported
upstream but doesn't work on non-linux debian systems (e.g. the Hurd).
The respective maintainers will presumably work out a solution that
works "best" for everyone.

(Note that this problem only affects unstable/potato).

You did the right thing by forcing one of them; at the moment it
doesn't appear to matter much which one you let override the other.

[...]
> This does sound like a problem with these two packages... only I'm not quite
> sure for which package I should file a bug report.

My general advice:

Just choose one, and mention your multi-package suspcions (what you
wrote to debian-user would make an excellent bug report).  In a case
like this, just report it against the package dpkg complained about --
the maintainer will happily reassign the bug to another
package/maintainer if you happened to chose what s/he thinks is the
wrong one.