installation hangs during (after?) downloading scsi stuff on P133

Hi

Yesterday I tried to install debian on an old machine for use as a
X-terminal at work.
The machine is a Dell P133 (the first machine I've acutually laid hands
on with the F0 bug!) with 96Mb of memory, an Adaptec  2940 and a Seagate
1.3Gig SCSI HD.
It booted nicely on the rescue disk but after identifying the 2940 it
downloaded some commands to it and then seemed to freeze.

Anyone experiencing similar events? Could it be the SCSI bios?

Anders