Re: Mount as many partitions as possible read only (what do I do with /etc?)

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 08:15:14PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> >What's The Right Way (tm) to have / mounted read-only?
> My diskless package (I just uploaded 0.3.2 to master today) does what
> you want (but for diskless systems).

Sadly, my system is the network server: the one and only system that cannot be
diskless.

> It diverts /sbin/init to /sbin/init.orig, and installs a shell script in
> place of /sbin/init. This shell script mounts /etc from an NFS server.

This can prove to be a good idea, mounting /etc from a rw partition.

It will indeed require some work to make it a robust script, since
the etc partition will have to be fscked, action should be taken if
fsck fails, etc. ( :) ), just like in checkroot.sh

I thought this was an old question with an obvious solution, but it's turning
out to be nontrivial. We have a policy allowing /usr to be mounted read-only,
have we nothing for / ?

The quick-and-easy solution seems to be the sync mount option suggested by
Peter, and if this is a new issue I'll file a wishlist bug agains
debian-policy.

				Bye and thanks! Enrico

--
GPG public key available on finger -l zinie@cs.unibo.it