DHCP client

I have a PC on a network where the IP addresses are assigned using a
DHCP server.  I tried installing Debian 2.1 and I have the following
problem.  If I say I am connected to a network it requires me to type
in the IP address (which I don't have).  If I don't configure the
network, when I try to install the dhcpcd package, it fails with a
post installation error (does not tell what the error is).

How does one do a fresh install of Debian 2.1 in this case?  Thanks

Venkat