Slrnpull and denied access to out.going

First off, I have read the README.Debian file in /usr/doc/slrnpull/, but I still cannot get slrnpull to accept my outgoing messages when running slrn in spool mode. (Incidentally, is there a way to run slrnpull as non-root?)

As suggested, I did: adduser david news, adding me to the news group. (I elected not to chmod 777 on the out.going directory since that seemed the more pernicious approach.) However, I still get messages that access is denied to the out.going group.

Is there something I'm missing here? Should I (david) be added to group news AND chmod 777 on the out.going directory? I've tried posting an article to comp.os.linux.setup about 5 times but the "access denied" message keeps getting in my way. And what security holes are there, if any, by adding david to group news?

Help...

Thanks.