Trouble with dselect: Hangs

Hi,

I am running potato and have upgraded my system using dselect/apt
without problems for a long time. Now I have problems though:

dselect downloads the selected packages, the message
"Fetched XXXXkB in XXmXXs (XXXXB/s)" shows up and then it hangs. Nothing
happens, no error message even. It seems like the command to start the
unpacking and installing aren't given or something.

I then have to terminate dselect and manually install the packages
using: dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

This is the ONLY way I am able to upgrade now.

What might be wrong, and how can get dselect to function normally
again?

TIA

Regards,
Christian Dysthe