why no package status feature for dpkg?

Why does dpkg not have a way to check the cksum's of the package's
contents.  I deleted a bunch of man pages, and now I find myself
having to write perl scripts to coerce dpkg into releasing the
information about missing files.  And even then, I won't know if a
file is really undamaged.

It wouldn't be such a problem except that I did an FTP install, and a
gnome upgrade, which needed some other things from potatoe
(fortunately Quayl has givene up the ghoste).  Plus I upgraded to the
current kernel from potato because my new hardware runs Linux
unreliably and I wanted to make sure it wasn't due to old drivers.
Plus I needed some gnome things out of CVS to get the latest version,
because gnome developers have this nasty habit of writing their
applications to the current libraries, not the stable libraries.

So who *knows* what I'm running now, and whether it corresponds to
anything remotely resembling Official Debian 2.0.  Somebody remind me
again how .deb is the perfect packaging format, sublime in all the
details of its creation, without flaw in its every detail, and how all
others (should) bow low to it.  I still haven't found an explanation
of why RPM sucks so badly that Debian developers cannot fix it.  I
mean, xterm sucked so badly that somebody had to create xterm-debian
and break everybody's termcap, so why not RPM-debian and break
everybody else's RPM manipulators?

--
-russ nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://russnelson.com