vi problems

Hello:

I use 'vi' exclusively, and until upgrading to Debian 2.1, never
experienced any problems with 'vi' exits.  It always exited on the same line
at which it was started.  I believe at the time, I was using 'elvis' as 'vi'.
For the record, I use 'xterm's under OpenLook, and that is were I observe
the problem.

Now 'vi' (or rather 'nvi', as that is what is in /etc/alternatives) exits
at seemingly arbitrary locations on the screen.  Consequently, I have
to 'clear' the screen to find the prompt before carrying on with other
work.

Anybody know how to get around this problem?

Regards,

Dean