HPT366 Drivers / ATA66 Hard Drives

Hello,
I am a very new investigator of Linux.  Meaning that I have never used it
before and I am just now looking into loading the Linux operating system
onto my new computer system.  I am not a programmer, nor a developer
( yet! )but I am interested in loading the Debian GNU/Linux OS because I
think that it would be nice to be a part of this group of people working
together for a common good.  I am trying to stay away from the more
commercialized Lixus releases that I see at the computer stores.

My main concern is that my computer system has an ATA66 Hard Drive that uses
the HPT366 Device Drivers, and from what I have read so far this might cause
me some problems unless I can get a patch for Linux Kernel 2.2.10.  I have
thought about using the hard drive with an ATA33 device driver and trying to
load Debian's GNU/Linux with my hardware in this configuration and then
trying to get a newer Kernel.  Does anyone have any thoughts on my prospects
for getting GNU/Linux on my machine?

I realize that there may be many more hardware issues that will concern me,
but for starters I would like to hear what people think about this ATA66
issue.

Thank you for your help!
Sincerely,
Robert Oneto