Re: unstable && stable

andreas palsson wrote:

> Is it possible to have 4 partitions where one of them is Slink, the
> second Potato, the third Swap and last one /home?
> I see no technical difficulties for both slink and potato using the same
> swap-partition and the same /home-partition, or am I wrong?

No problem.  Used to do that to upgrade from one slackware
version to the next (reinstalling from scratch on another
partition).  Haven't done that to upgrade Debian!

> Besides that, can anyone give me an example of a lilo.conf of the above
> configuration?

Something like (Note I use SCSI, so `sd' instead of `hd', and remove
my `append' line):

# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/sda
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
delay = 50
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
append="hdc=634,64,32 mem=128M aic7xxx=tag_info:{{24,24}}"
# End LILO global section
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /zImage-2.0.37-PD2.0.32-idle
  root = /dev/sdb1
  label = 2.0.37-full
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
image = /zImage-2.0.37
  root = /dev/sda1
  label = newdisk
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/sda2
  label = win95
  table = /dev/sda
# DOS bootable partition config ends

Note: The kernel name could probably be the same, and to simplify
      running lilo, the name(s) you use should exist on both
      partitions you want to boot from (as lilo checks that the
      kernel exists even it you specified another patition).
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada