Exim re-writing help

I would like to rewrite my address with exim. (I only send outgoing mail to the Internet; no local mail.) I've read the documentation, but am still a bit confused on exactly how to set up the re-write. I would like david@milwaukee (i.e., user@hostname) to be re-written to pcr387@hecky.acns.nwu.edu (either that or djkanter@nwu.edu, which is easier to read).

>From what I've read, I should do something like:

*@@     $1@$2     then all the flags

But where should I put the $0, $1, and $2 re-write definitions? I'm assuming:

$0=david@milwaukee
$1=pcr387
$2=hecky.acns.nwu.edu

But the documentation (Exim manual) implies that:

$0=david@milwaukee
$1=david
$2=milwaukee

...so I'm confused as to which is right. How close am I to doing this correctly?

Thanks,
Dave