pcmcia net card does not show up in "ifconfig" listing.

I realise something is probably not configured correctly. I installed
pcmcia-source, and compiled it with dpkg-kpkg, then installed the
resulting .deb file. Everything seems to be working fine, except that I
expected the network card in the slot to show up when I run ifconfig. It
does not.

How can I determine whether everything is working correctly? What must I
do to make the card (an Accton network card) show up when "ifconfig" is
run?

I recompiled the kernel using the same options (under Network Device
Support) as on the laptop on which the card works.

BTW, I'm running Debian 2.1 (slink), kernel 2.0.36.

I am not very experienced (Although I have got this card working on
another laptop, as well as a well working desktop computer), so even tips
that seem "obvious" can be useful. (Yes, the card does seem to be
inserted completely, and I hear two beeps when inserting it (one lowish,
and one an octave higher). <g>)

Thanks in advance,
Hugo van der Merwe

ps. Please CC: replies to hugo@mailroom.com - it is the only way to be
    100% certain that replies will reach me.