Re: Strange apt-get behaviour...

umrenic2@cc.UManitoba.CA wrote:

> Please respond to the above email as I only subscribe to the digest, and
> not the actual mailing list.
>
> Guys,
>
> I tried running apt-get on a potato system running kernel 2.2.12 this
> afternoon, and when it finished downloading the Packages.gz files, apt-get
> exited with this error message:
>
>     Reading Package Lists... Error!
>     E: Malformed Priority line
>     E: Error occured while processing aleph-dev (NewVersion1)
>     E: Problem with MergeList
>      /var/state/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_potat
>      o_main_binary-i386_Packages
>     E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>
> I'm assuming that this might have something to do with incorrect
> permissions being set or something along those lines.
>
> The only problem that I can see that I could have induced was the
> accidental destruction of my suid.conf file a couple of days ago...  As
> far as I know, that's the only thing that has changed on my system.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!

This is not your fault--the downloaded file is bad.

Short answer: edit the
/var/state/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_potato_main_binary-i386_Packages
file with a text editor.  There are two places where "optional"
is misspelled as "optionnal".  Just remove the extra 'n's, and
everything will work.

Long answer:  Check out the "Unstable package list at
ftp.debian.org is bad" thread in this list.

- Kris