where is /proc/asound?

Hallo all,
     I've just installed slink on my laptop and I'm trying to use the ALSA. Do
you need to do any special configureation for ALSA?
I've just got a vanilla system and a custom kernel ( still 2.0.36 though) and
ALSA just doesn't work. I don't appear to have a /proc/asound directory and I
can't find out how to get one.
     The reason I want this is because I bought Civ:CTP and it doesn't play the
music. So I figured that my sound wasn't correctly figured on hamm, one upgrade
later and I'm still confused.

     Any suggestions on how best to get ALSA running would be appreciated.
     Could you cc. me as well 'cos I'm at work at the mo. :-)

thanks