Re: Installing debian to another hard drive

> On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 10:42:15PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > How can I install the debian "base" system to another hard drive in the
> > same computer? I have a working Debian / DOS+Win95 dual boot system, and
> > would like to install Debian to a laptop, whose floppy disk drive is
> > disfunctional, and has no CD-ROM drive.
> >
> > I have connected the laptop's hard drive to my Debian machine, using an
> > adapter. There must be some way to install Debian to this hard drive,
> > using my desktop machine. How can I do this? Will the normal
> > install-from-dos-partition procedure work?

I tried the following: I did a normal install from my dos partition
(from dos), and installed the base system, and made the disk bootable, BUT
it was all done on /dev/hdc, the laptop hard drive. Then I placed the disk
back in the laptop, and booted it, and received errors, fstab was
referencing /dev/hdc - I changed all those references (two) to /dev/hda,
now it boots fine.

However, the laptop cannot ping other computers, and it cannot ping itself
at 192.168.1.8, which it should, but it can ping itself at 127.0.0.1

route displays only one entry, namely
127.0.0.0  *  255.0.0.0  U  0  0  1  lo

I believe it is supposed to display more. I need to get ftp/nfs working to
install more stuff (I don't mind using floppy disks to get it working
though). Where is the network configuration stuff stored, or is there a
nice net config program?

Thanks,
Hugo

ps. Please cc: to hugo@mailroom.com, as I am not subscribed to the list,
    and sometimes miss a reply when reading the newsgroups...