Re: dselect/apt/cdrom

on 27 Sep 99, Colin Marquardt wrote...

>* John  <joney@clara.net> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to configure /etc/apt/sources.list to use a 2CD 'Official'
>> Debian 2.1 set and seem unable to get the right formulation. All the =
>
>> examples given relate to ftp and http. I want to use apt in dselect
>> to adjust the original installation (for some reason not all slink
>> packages on the second CD show up when I run dselect).
>
>You haven=B4t put in the +second* CD *first*?
>
>Well, at any rate, you might want to get a new apt for slink at
>http://www.debian.org/~jgg/apt .  Then just run `apt-cdrom add'
>(after reading the docs, of course :-).

When using dselect for the original installation ('Home machine'
pre-selected choice 554 packs 479M), I did put in the second CD
first as this is what the manual for beginners says is required for the
multi_cd access method.

The original installation contains a lot  of stuff I shall probably
never need; when trying to configure sound I found a package
pciutils (containing lspci) is needed and although it is on the 2nd
CD, it is not installed; the future seems, from what I have read, to
lie with apt within dselect. These three points suggested I would
be well advised to configure and start using the apt method to
remove unwanted items and install other packages.

So far I've been unable to configure /etc/apt/sources.list - the
system doesn't want to understand any of my suggested 'paths',
and trying to use multi_cd instead of apt won't install pciutils
either.

I am a genuine computer-illiterate wrinkly, and have so far got
away from Gates by having managed to configure most of Red
Hat and SuSE and so have two fully functional OSs. Debian
has great philosophical appeal and I intend to end up with just
that system. I don't mind the effort involved - its another
retirement hobby!

/var/lib/dpkg has occupied some hours of my time, but I can't
find an answer there - so much data seems duplicated that I'm
confused. Why I wonder do I need so many 'status' files
particularly the seven '.yesterday' ones? Somewhere in this
directory may be my answer - perhaps under 'diversions'.

Many thanks for your response. However, I'm sorry but I don't
follow why I need a new apt for slink and in any case I'm left
with a lack of understanding of paths, so I can't do anything
with your advice (which I'm sure is sound) as things now stand.

Best wishes, John.