Re: ppp how to use ppp for a normal user?

Jonathan Heaney wrote:

> Herve BRUNEL wrote:
>
> > I installed Debian slink and kernel 2.2.11 with success
> >
> > i can use my internet connexion as root, but i don't find how to run it like an user.
> >
> > I try, unsuccessfuly, to change attribut of /usr/sbin/pppd and script I created as root.
> >
> > the message is always the same " you must be root to run pppd
> >
> > Is there anyone to help me
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > --
> > mailto: HerveBRUNEL@wanadoo.fr
> > http://www.ulice.linuxfr.org
> > association des utilisateurs de Linux et des logiciels libres du Centre
> >
> > --
>
> Add any users you want to be able to use ppp to the group dip.  You can then use pon /
> poff, e.g. (as root)
>
> adduser jon dip
>
> Jon can then use ppp.
>
> Jonathan.

I did a fresh install of Debian 2.1r3 last night. Accessing the internet via wvdial as a
normal user required all three of the following:

adduser algould dip
chmod a+rwx /etc/ppp/*
chmod a+rwx /etc/ppp

'a+rwx' may have been overkill; but access attempts between each step failed due to inadequate
permissions to use the modem, pppd, and to write to the various ppp related scripts (chap* and
pap* scripts).

- Andrew Gould