Re: Linux (both 2.0.x and 2.2.x), ifconfig, and routing tables.

Quoting Seth R Arnold (sarnold@willamette.edu):
> I got the impression that Richard was looking for a nicer way of doing this;
> if linux is going to be wierd about its network interfaces, then perhaps
> there is a nice way to circumvent it without too much work. :)

If your routing table is something that evolves over time through
multiple well-considered changes over a period of time, then surely
it needs backing up. After all, it is an essential part of the
machine's configuration which just happens not to be in /etc/foo/bar.
Such a perl script could do this too.

On the other hand if, like mine, it's just the standard routing
table I always use, then isn't the answer just to run
/etc/init.d/network?

Very occasionally, one of my machine's kernels kills the interrupt
handler for the 3c509 card. Because it's happened more than twice,
I have a script in /root/restart-network which is:

#!/bin/sh
# script to restart the network after the interrupt handler is killed
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
ifconfig eth0 down
rmmod 3c509
insmod 3c509
/etc/init.d/network
lpc down all
lpc up all

If it happened more frequently, I would probably leave a process
watching the log and commanding it automatically.

> On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 01:28:18AM -0400, William T Wilson wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Richard Kaszeta wrote:
> >
> > > 2. Find a way to save all the routing table entries involving the
> > >    interface I'm bringing down, and restore them after bringing the
> > >    interface back up?
> >
> > Have you considered running /sbin/route with the appropriate invocations,
> > and then parsing the output / preparing input using perl or some such?

Cheers,