Debian and Redhat

Hi!

We use RedHat on all linux-based servers and clients here at my work, except
for my machine which is running Debian 2.1, and I would like to have some hard
facts about the differences.

I'm responsible for the maintaince of these servers, and with Debian's apt-get
it's just so easy to upgrade and install packages, and I can trust that it's
done right, it has never failed on my own machine. And beeing able to upgrade
the whole distribution with only some keystrokes is amazing!

However, there are some software that these servers MUST have, right now it's
Legato Networker and the UPS software (not sure which UPS system we will use
yet). Both have support for Linux, but only RedHat. I'v made debian packages
of Networker from the RPM package, and they works fine. I'll try to do the
same with the UPS sw as soon as we recieve it.

Can I be sure that binaries compiled against RedHat5.x always runs under
Debian 2.1? My "common sence" says yes, since they are both based on glibc2.0
and the same free software, but... I dont mind some tweaking, but I dont want
to spend weeks to get it to work.

Guess I have to wait until Debian 2.2 to run RedHat6.x stuff though, I dont
want to upgrade any server to potato/unstable until it's considered stable.

Are there any other considerations?

Thanks.

/Marcus