Re: DriveReady SeekComplete Error and DriveStatusError

peter karlsson wrote:
> B. Szyszka:
>
> > I've reinstalled Debian to try to get a cleaner setup going, but am
> > running into some error messages:
> > hdb: write_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdb: write_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>
> That's *usually*¹ a sign that your hard disk is about to die on you. Do a
> backup, buy a new drive, and copy the stuff over to that one.

---end quoted text---

Hrmm.. Maybe "usually", but on my system (with a buggy mobo) it was DMA
support that was the culprit.  Try compiling a kernel with "Use DMA when
available" disabled.

Alternatively, read the kernel helps and docs to see if your chipset is
mentioned as having problems.  I was eventually able to use DMA with a
specific chipset fix and the hdparm package.

--
Regards,
Steve

Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 Reboots are for kernel and hardware upgrades.