Re: bootup messages

"Krosigk, Lorenz Von" <krosigk@gedas.es> writes:

> is there a way to hide the bootup messages at the screen, to direct them
> (the important ones like warnings and errors) to a file and to show
> something else on the screen meanwhile the machine starts up?

You have to modify each script in /etc/init.d/.

The scripts found in /etc/rcS is ran at boot and then /etc/rc2.d (or
whatever the names, my system is broken currently [see other thread]
so I can't check). It is not one script that runs them all so you
can't add '> /foo/bar' to it. Sadly enough. (I think it is both
security and historical reasons for this.)

This is a rather common question so in the archives there should be
better answers then this.

HTH.

--
( Jonas Steverud  @  www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/ !    Wei Wu Wei    )
( U2MoL, Roleplaying, LaTeX, Emacs/Gnus, SCWM, etc. ! To Do Without Do )