Getting Alt key to work in X with Win keyboard

I have a cheap keyboard which has a Windows key next to the Alt key.  On
the console, the Alt key works as expected, but in X, the Alt key doesn't
work.  Instead, the functionality of the Windows key and the Alt key seems
to have been swapped (Windows key functions as the Meta key and Alt
doesn't seem to do anything).  I've tried different keyboard models in the
XF86Config file, but I can't seem to get the Alt key to work as would be
expected in X.  What's the best way to get my Alt key to work in X with
this keyboard?

Thanks,

Gerry