Re: Getting the most out of apt.

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 05:23:07PM -0700, Seth R Arnold wrote:
> Todd, here are two lines from mine that make sense for everone.
>
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>
> I just cut this from someone's example on the list a month ago or so.
>
> This is for potato though... slink will probably be different. :)

Well, for slink change unstable to stable, and it'll work.

Here's my sources.list for slink:
------cut-------
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable updates
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
------cut-------

explanations:
1st line: main, contrib, non-free
2nd line: non-us
3rd line: security updates
4th line: proposed updates
5th line: source packag4es for stable, contrib and non-free

IMO that is enough for a normal user, and it works fine for me.

Note that this list only uses official debian sources with only the
officially released packages.

HTH

Tobias
--