Re: X-sever problem with ATI Rage II

On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 08:08:25PM +0200, Oliver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to configure the X-server for my ATI Rage II. But If I start the

Which version of XFree86?? (I use 3.3.4 XFree86 & the Rage svr from
SuSe, and its working perfectly with my ATI Rage Fury).

> server it hangs. I 'm confused with the output because memory shouldn't be
> the problem (128MB RAM, 4 MB on VGA board).

Anyway, your card *isn't* recognized. Line: PCI: unknown.....;
mine says:
PCI: ATI Rage128 RF rev 0, Memory @ 0xe8000000, 0xed000000, I/O @ 0xc000;
Found ATI Rage 128 RF chip.

If you didn't upgrade to XFreee86 3.3.4, do so (add this line to /etc/apt/source.lists:
    deb http://samosa.debian.org/~branden  xfree-334-slink/
and deselect choosing apt, the upgrade will be automagically done.)

*******

For other people interested in having X working with their ATI Rage128
cards:

* upgrade to XFree86 3.3.4,

* go to: http://perso.libertysurf.fr/steph2, and download xrage.rpm
         'alienise' it (alien -d xrage.rpm)
	 install the resultant .deb

* go to: http://www.suse.com, choose 'SuSe X Servers', then go to the
         bottom of this page, and download the 'regframe' rpm package;
	 'alienise' it (alien -d regframe.rpm)
	 install the resultant .deb

Run XF86Config, (be carefull about your monitor specs, remember you
can easyly transform it in a nice heap of ashes with wrong sync setup)

Now it should work!

PS: SuSe regframe.rpm package contains only one definition *needed* by
    the xrage.rpm package.

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
 No extensible language will be universal.