Slink/ipchains trouble

I've never seen this before..

Every few minutes something on one of my servers running Slink changes the
default policy on input,output and foward to DENY.  I ravaged through /etc
to see if anything there was doing it, and didnt find anything, anyone
know of a package that would/could do this?  Nothing is in crontab ..i
would remove ipchains totally but i need it for ipmasq ..the machine is
firewalled already upstream so i dont need any special rules other then
the masq one but cannot understand why the machine is doing it..nothing
showing up in the logs..just one moment the policies are ACCEPT (set
manually by me) and the next they are back to DENY.  This machine acts as
a DHCP server, a PPP server, DNS server and NTP server.

any ideas?

thanks

      Linux System Administrator           http://www.firetrail.com/