NFS Install fails, eth0 module?

Hello all.

I recently tried to install Debian 2.1 using NFS. I rebooted using the resc
disk, and followed the install program (dbootstrap?). Everything was going
fine, until it came to the "Install Operating System Kernel and Modules"
stage, or something like that. In any case, NFS was not in the list of
choices for installation media (although I suppose it is possible I just
didn't see it.. :P). So I went back to the menu, skipped down the list, and
went to the setup Network option. I filled in all my network info, and chose
eth0 as the interface. After this, a dialog flashed onto the screen for a
second, and disappeared before I could read it. It then returned me to the
main menu.

When I went through the "Install Operating System Kernel and Modules" stage,
NFS was listed. However, when I input the name of a server (e.g.
ftp.debian.org), it failed *instantly*. Now I expected that I probably
wouldn't specify the right directory or the right name format on my first
guess, but it looked like my ethernet card wasn't setup properly. I went
into ash, and ran ifconfig - it only gave me info on lo. lsmod shows
nothing.

I am using a PCI NE2000 compliant 10 mbit ethernet card, which has been
auto-detected by other distros in the past. I created the 2nd diskette (the
driver diskette), but I am unsure of how to use it - given that gunzip and
tar are not included, and my attempts to pipe the output of zcat into
tarcat, and from there re-directed into a file on the root filesystem, were
unsuccessful - I got "out of space errors", or the file I was trying to
create was only 0 bytes.

Thanks in advance for any help. Shouldn't Deb auto-detect my ethernet card,
or at least prompt me for the driver diskette?

Regards,

Neil Conway
Microsoft - Soft and limp?