About mountd

Hello,

Right now, when I want to read the contents of a CD or a floppy I have
to mount the corresponding directory (/cdrom in my machine) manually. I
would like the system to configure the mount point automatically when I
try to read or write the contents of that directory.

I have scanned the file /etc/inetd.conf and I have found the following
entry:

#mountd/1       dgram   rpc/udp wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd

Next, I have looked for the daemon "/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd" but it is not
installed in my system:

cambados# ls -lsia /usr/sbin/rpc*
  41111   10 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         9420 Feb 13  1999
/usr/sbin/rpc.bootparamd
  41116   14 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        12988 Feb 13  1999
/usr/sbin/rpc.rstatd
  41112    8 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         7836 Feb 13  1999
/usr/sbin/rpc.rusersd
  41115    6 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         5996 Feb 13  1999
/usr/sbin/rpc.rwalld
cambados#

As in the case of "telnetd" I have looked for the package "mountd" in
the CDs of the distribution, but <<surprisingly>> there was not any
package with that name.

My questions are:
* What do I need?
* What about the daemon "mountd"?

My system is a Linux Debian 2.1 running on an AMD K6-III. If the
following information is useful for you, here it is:

cambados# dpkg --list *mount*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description

ii  mount           2.9g-6         Tools for mounting and manipulating
filesyst
un  xmountains      <none>         (no description available)
cambados#

Thanks,

               Manuel Arenaz