Re: Floppy light stays perpetually on.

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 05:01:42PM +0930, Mark Phillips wrote:
> Thanks for the replies!
>
> > That usually means the drives ribbon cable is backwards.  make sure
> > the red side of the ribbon is aligned with pin one on both ends.
>
> I switched the cable round and now it works!  Thanks!
>
> My box is so cramped, with the floppy stuck between two hard drives,
> that you can't see which is pin 1.  But on all the hard drives, pin 1
> seems to be towards the middle of the drive, so I presumed the same
> must be true for the floppy.  Not so it would seem.  Pin 1 is at the
> edge for floppies --- unless the cable is plugged into the motherboard
> the wrong way round, but I don't think so?  Hmm???  Anyway, it works
> now which is the main thing.

My experience has shown that pin1 is closest to the power connector -- I
think once in a while someone changes it just to have fun with your mind,
but they are rare. :) (this holds true for motherboards also! :)

Of course, the non-sadistic hardware makers will go forth and actually label
their pin1 to make like easier for you... :)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!