Re: page layout app

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 10:52:50PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> On Wed 09/22/99 01:39AM, Peter Mickle wrote:
> > does anyone have any recommendations for a page layout/type formatting,
> > including both text and graphics (photos/drawings/manipulated text)
> > application? quark-like?
>
> How about TeX/LaTeX? There was am earlier thread on LaTeX. Check
> with the archives, cuz I think there was a couple links to
> introduction-type docs for LaTeX. I don't know what quark is, so
> can't help there. I've been using it to write some user docs for a
> couple of procedures at work with screen shots.

Well, I do know quark -- and LaTeX is MUCH nicer than quark in many ways --
it can do so much more than quark can ever hope to do. However, quark is a
GUI-based desktop publishing program, and LaTeX is not a GUI. It also forces
one to structure their work a little better, whereas quark lets you just
throw things around.

*maybe* lyx, a frontend for latex will do what you want it to do. I do not
know about graphics in LaTeX though, but if Mark is doing it, then it must
be possible. :)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!