Re: daemon/initd

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 03:13:12PM +1300, zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz wrote:
> Can someone properly explain to me the differences between how a process
> starts up as a daemon as apposed to a process which starts up via initd as
> i am a little unsure.

Well, programs that init starts normally ARE daemons.

Programs that inetd starts could often serve as daemons if they were to be
so configured. Low-requirement webservers, or low-requirement ftp servers
can run this way, telnetd runs this way usually, most anything can run that
way. For servers that take a lot of overhead to start, however, they
normally get started by the boot scripts once, and then run from there
forever. (hehe. :)

So, if you meant 'init', there really isn't any difference. If you meant
'inetd', then the inetd ones are run on demand, and the daemons (started
usually from rc scripts) run all the time.

hth...

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!