Re[2]: Virus protection by unix (was Re: To the Debian Project... )

Hello Ted,

On Wednesday, September 22, 1999, you wrote:

TH> On 21-Sep-99 David Wright wrote:
>> Quoting Keith G. Murphy (keithmur@mindspring.com):
>>> >
>>> Semi-serious question:
>>>
>>> How does a UNIX server protect them against viruses (I assume that's
>>> what you mean)?  Do they die in the arid environment of the server?
>>> ;-)
>>
>> I think unix servers are generally virus-neutral. Most of the products
>> that claim to scan emails, for example, at gateways seem to be built
>> for NT and Netware. Perhaps this is one reason why so much anti-virus
>> scanning is left to the end-user, which makes it much more expensive
>> as well as hit-and-miss. (I for one have no idea how to scan a floppy/
>> email/downloaded file with a virus scanner.)

TH> I suggest having a look at AMaViS - A Mail Virus Scanner

TH> See: http://satan.oih.rwth-aachen.de/AMaViS/amavis.html

TH> This is a (quite complex) script which allows you to apply your favourite
TH> ported-to-Linux virus scanner to email (it includes code for extracting
TH> attachments which may be uuencoded, base64-encoded, gzipped, tarred, etc,
TH> and subjecting each attachment to the scanner).

TH> You will also need to download a good virus scanner from a suitable
TH> source. I use the McAfee "uvscan"; the docs to AMaViS suggest other
TH> choices as well.

TH> You can also use this software to scan directories containing Word
TH> documents etc, if you keep such stuff.

TH> I also set up my mailer (XFMail) so that I can pipe an email to
TH> the scanner if it has an attachment which contains MS files (in fact
TH> I don't otherwise bother with routine virus scanning of email).

TH> Hope this helps,
TH> Ted.

TH> --------------------------------------------------------------------
TH> E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
TH> Date: 21-Sep-99                                       Time: 16:02:03
TH> ------------------------------ XFMail ------------------------------

I  currently  use  Amavis together with McAffee's uvscan to accomplish
just this on a SLINK box that is the mail gateway for the enterprise.

The  only  downside  though,  is  that  for  Amavis to work correctly,
sendmail  must  be  used.  I  would prefer either Exim or Postfix. The
developers  of  Amavis have indicated they will "port" their script to
other mailers as well.

All  round,  the  system  works  well. The system has trapped viruses,
indicated  to  the  receiver  that  it has done so, and also mails the
sender  that  a virus was found in the mail, and suggests a virus scan
on the senders machine be done.

Interestingly enough, if more institutions used this approach to virus
scanning in e-mails, wild spread of virii such as melissa and happy
worm  should  not  happen,  as all these mails that are auto-generated
would  be stopped at mail gateways. More importantly, the sender would
receive  a  flurry  of  mails indicating such a virus was "at work" on
his machine.

Best regards,
Brandon

mailto:bmberetta@bigpond.com    Wednesday, September 22, 1999    8:26 AM (AEST)