cfdisk FATAL ERROR on 10G disk (Toshiba Tecra 8000)

Hi,

I'm trying to install Debian (slink) on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop.
Having got a boot disk for the Tecras, it now boots okay.  But when I
get to the partitioning the disk stage, I run into problems.

Trying to use cfdisk on /dev/hda comes up with:

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition
Press any key to exit fdisk

I suspect the problem may be that the disk is a 10Gig disk, currenly
with a single Windows 98 partition on it.  I'm not sure what to do.
Any helps or hints?

By the way, I've subscribed to debian-user, but the email hasn't
started coming through yet, so could you please cc any replies
directly to me.

Thanks,

Mark.