Permissions for non-root user to use ppp

Hi all!

As of last night, I have debian running on a stand-alone Pentium II
machine at home.  As root, I can connect to the ISP and activate the
pppd using wvdial.  As a non-root user, however, wvdial connects to the
ISP; but can't start pppd.  I keep getting messages asking me to check
the permissions and/or the path to ppp.  Since it works for root, I
didn't think the path should be the problem.  I've used chmod a+rwx on
/etc/ppp/options*, /dev/modem, /dev/ttyS1 (the modem), and /etc/ppp.
I'm sure I've done both too much and too little.  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew