Virus protection by unix (was Re: To the Debian Project... )

Quoting Keith G. Murphy (keithmur@mindspring.com):
> Art Lemasters wrote:
> >
> [cut]
> >      BTW, I recently worked a contract for a corporation that uses
> > nothing but NT servers and workstations.  The machines were rebooted
> > every two or three days, and complete images were installed to them
> > once a week or more.  Granted, though, the employees there were actually
> > allowed to send and receive e-mail to their workstations via the
> > Internet with no UNIX server to protect them!
> >
> Semi-serious question:
>
> How does a UNIX server protect them against viruses (I assume that's
> what you mean)?  Do they die in the arid environment of the server?  ;-)

I think unix servers are generally virus-neutral. Most of the products
that claim to scan emails, for example, at gateways seem to be built
for NT and Netware. Perhaps this is one reason why so much anti-virus
scanning is left to the end-user, which makes it much more expensive
as well as hit-and-miss. (I for one have no idea how to scan a floppy/
email/downloaded file with a virus scanner.)

Cheers,