RE: To the Debian Project, IMHO [long]

You Wrote:
If you present someone with a challenge they will usually rise to it (as
long
as it is within their sphere of competence). So let's make life easier, not
more difficult.

Reply:
This is an interesting way to lead into the following ...

You wrote:
Let's tell the truth "Linux is like
Unix. You need to know. We can help you, but your a big boy/girl now, and
you have learn how to take care of yourself". Microsoft didn't and takes a
bashing from the general users who complain that it doesn't live up to
expectation, and it doesn't, you still have to know, despite what Microsoft
or others may say.

Reply:
I agree Microsoft still requires knowledge.  But the knowledge is somewhat
transferable between programs.

I also agree we need configuration GUIs in Linux.  If you still enjoy the
endless research to execute a simple command, by all means don't use the
GUI.  There are many times when I need a administrative task done more than
I need to be doing it!  I say endless for one reason.  If it is so
non-intuitive you need to go through 5 pages of help, you'll probably forget
it in short order.  Next time you'll be looking it up again.

Don't get me wrong, people still need to learn some Unix.  Point is, if you
want the marketplace, you better go after the market people.  The market
people want windows offers.  This is not by mistake.  Microsoft has invested
major $$$ in searching for what users want.  Namely:

1. Simple peer to peer networking with resource sharing.

This means you don't get in line for a cap and gown when you finally get it
working.

2. Simple install.

Most Linux variants are here.  I think RedHat is the easiest to install.
Debian is the easiest to maintain due to apt-get.  My opinion.

3. Must integrate seamlessly into existing "standard".

Like it or not, the desktop standard in the majority market holder. At this
point, that is clearly Microsoft.  Linux needs to be a drop in replacement.

4. Simple maintenance.

Linux is not rocket science.  It just takes more ongoing administrative
effort than windows NT Server.  The major difference I see is the GUI.  I
don't run X, maybe that would change my opinion.  I have run it before, but
not on debian.  Any comments here welcome.  I might be missing a big part of
debians administrative aids.

Time and time again the best argument for Linux is stability.  I have run NT
workstation for over a year now.  That's 24x7.  I just don't turn it off.
It has been rock solid.  Under development conditions, I reboot maybe once
per month.  90% of those reboots are because I have changed/installed
something.

I am not knocking Linux.  I am just interested in the comments regarding
level of development.  Fact is, replacing Microsoft on the desktop requires
one of two things.  First you have to offer something they don't/can't/won't
provide and you absolutely must have.  Second, Linux offers enough that the
difference between the two is negligible.

It seems you don't like the progression of Linux from a standpoint it's
going to put it into everyone's hands.  Within the lazy man's reach if you
will.  If I were in marketing, I would yell YOU BET.

To continue to grow, it must start capturing people who are less interested
in how it works and more interested in what is can do for them.  I.e.. a
marketing person.  Remember, they have computers to.  Maybe the question is,
should Linux be pushed beyond the server market into the desktop.  That is
the major hurdle.  A system administrator may be able to justify the extra
time.  I know a died in the wool Unix administrator who chose NT 4.0 server
because he had other tasks (programming) and needed low administration.

Just my rambling opinions.  Thanks for reading.

paul