Re: Sound Apps only work as root??

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, John Foster wrote:

> Brad wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, John Foster wrote:
> >
> > >  I think so. I did "chmod a+rw /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/miver*
> > > /dev/midi*  "
> >
> > This opens a personal-security hole, in that anyone who can telnet/ssh
> > into your machine can hear what the mic is picking up, and can play sounds
> > through your speakers. That's why they're set up by default to have o-rw.
> >
> > Using group audio is a better solution, IMHO.
> Please explain.

If you use the group audio, only those users would be able to spy on you.
Presumably you'd only add trusted users to the group.

True, it doesn't make a difference for a single-user system setup.

> > As for the problem of the apps not working, what error messages do they
> > give? Or do they seem to work fine but no sound comes out? As a test, cat
> > an .au sound file to /dev/audio (cat file.au > /dev/audio).
> The sound works fine now but the applications that use the sound system
> do not work either as commands from xterm or as clicks on the menu. The
> CD Players all work, the mixers,and some midi. Synaesthesia does not and
> some others. I mean they do not even open a term or window.
> Thanks for the assist.

Synaesthesia from the menu won't bring up a window unless you have a CD in
the drive. Is there one? Is the proper cdrom device configured in
~/.synaesthesia?

- From an xterm, how are you invoking synaesthesia?

Please post the command lines and any output, and the results of 'ls -l
/dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer*'.  Check ~/.xsession-errors for output
from menu-run commands. Saying "The command 'mpg123 /mp3/file.mp3' gives
an error message 'Can't open /dev/dsp!'" is more helpful than just "Sound
doesn't work!".

i'd have to guess from your description that you're not giving the
programs the proper command lines or you don't have the proper
permissions set, since sound _is_ working.

- --
  finger for PGP public key.