Re: Round about the way question.

Marc-Adrian, I think this can best be described by the philosophy of the
various operating systems.

Micros~1's Vision Statement is, "A computer on every desktop." They have
darn near nailed that one. Part of the remaining half of US households
without computers includes the elderly, the poor, the overworked. The *only*
way for them to tackle that bit of the market segment is by making machines
work right out of the box. It doesn't matter so much to Micros~1 whether or
not it works *well* out the box.

That is where Linux, FreeBSD, etc come into play. It isn't enough for things
to work out of the box -- users that are attracted to these operating
systems would like to tweak things themselves, including who their
nameservers are. I like tweaking this, since I set up a caching nameserver
for myself (thanks to the nice maintainer, it really was a piece of cake --
apt-get install bind will do it.. :) and have THAT nameserver ask the three
that serve my university for IPs -- so that in the future, my second
computer has them cached, and no costly (heh, 10-20ms? :) lookups are
involved whenever I need a different IP.

This level of flexibility is unheard of in Windows -- but under Windows, the
nameservers do not enter into any equations, as far as the home user is
concerned.

You can debate whether it is good or bad. Windows has its place (ask Linus!
He has even been quoted as saying, "If you want to play games, use Windows.
Games run very well under Windows." heheh. [does anyone have the exact
quote? I know I messed that up..] :)

As for me, I will be using Unix for as long as it is feasible. I hope I die
before the end of Unix. (hehe. I don't need any help on that front! :) I
like being able to tweak things. :)