Very serious problem with apt-get

I posted a similar message yesterday and am posting
again because I can't use "apt-get install" to install
packages over the internet at all. Very serious
problem.

Here is an example of what is happening (after
apt-get update has completed successfully) :

@phoenix:[/home/ssahmed] apt-get install gnus
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  gnus
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 1040kB of archives. After unpacking 3467kB will be used.
Err http://http.us.debian.org stable/main gnus 5.6.45-3
  Could not open file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/gnus_5.6.45-3_all.deb - open (2 No such file or directory)
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/news/gnus_5.6.45-3.deb
  Could not open file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/gnus_5.6.45-3_all.deb - open (2 No such file or directory)
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe try with --fix-missing?
Exit 100

Its happening for packages in stable and unstable. Seems like
I can't install anything any more. I tried using --fix-missing but
that doesn't work either.

I noticed that the directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
doesn't exist on my system.

The version of apt that I am using is :

  apt 0.3.11 for i386 compiled on Aug  8 1999  10:12:36

and my /etc/apt/sources.list is :

    # Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
    # your mirror contains.
    # deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
    # See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
    # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable updates
    deb http://www.netgod.net/ x/

and I am using Debian 2.1 + some packages from potato.

Please help!!

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed