Re: mutt: help with saving a messge to a different folder

Quoting Shao Zhang (shao@linuxfreak.com):
> David Wright [d.wright@open.ac.uk] wrote:
> > If you mean you have a truly colossal number of old mail folders, then
>
> 	That exactly what I meant.
>
> > I recommend you put inboxes in one directory and old mail folders in
>
> 	And I have done that. Puting all my incoming mails in ~/mail.
> 	And all the saved mails in ~/Mail.
>
> > a separate one. The latter are never seen with this sequence of commands.
>
> 	Yes. I can make it unseen to mutt. But I also want mutt to give
> 	me a default filename to save in ~/Mail not in ~/mail.
>
> ok, let me re-make myself clear with my situation.

Yes we got a bit off the subject probably because I only joined when
it seemed to me that you were having problems distinguishing between
"mailboxes" and "set folder" commands. However, that doesn't seem to
be at the root of your problem.

> I read all my mails in ~/mail/Inbox. When reading your msg and I want to
> save it, I press 's', and I want mutt to give me a default filename like
> this: ~/Mail/d.wright@open.ac.uk.

I don't think you've ever posted what actually happens when you press
"s"; only what you want to happen. If you took my advice and have put

	mailboxes	! ~/mail/foo ~/mail/bar
	set		folder=~/Mail

in your file, then when you press "s" on this email, mutt should
prompt "=d.wright" and pressing return will append the email to
~/Mail/d.wright. If you specially need the @open.ac.uk, then
include the line

	set		save_address

in the file and you will see "=d.wright@open.ac.uk" when you
press "s".

> However, ~/Mail has over 3000 folders already, and I simply cannot
> afford mutt to scan this directory at all. Therefore, the following
> won't work for me:
>
> mailboxes = ~/mail/Inbox
> set folder = ~/Mail

Why not. Again I repeat, what happens when you press "s"? Does the
session lock up for several seconds. Does the disk thrash?

Cheers,