Sound Apps only work as root??

I have recently installed the OSS sound systems from 4front
technologies. It works great as root user. and as long as I start it as
root it will work as another user. I can deal with that. The next thing
I noticed is that all the sound software, except the cd players do not
seem to work as any user except root. The sound system is the newest
addition to my server here and I want to be able to use all the Linux
sound apps to record and paly music, and other types of sound files. Any
herlp is greatly appreciated. BTW I have RTFM several times.
System Specs Dual pentium 233MMX system running Debain Linux SMP kernel
v. 2.2.7
sound card is Sound Origins 32Y  (Yamaha OPL3-SA2) this is a multi
function card with MIDI port and MPU401 capabilities.
TIA!
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems