netscape error (won't display images)

Hello,
I just debianized a friend's old '486 (16MB ram) with a fresh slink
installation.  Everything seems to be running fine, except for netscape.

I did 'apt-get install navigator-smotif-45', and navigator comes up fine,
displays text, background colors, etc., but does not display images
(they show up as a grey box).  This is an old box; on-board VGA video.

When I do 'navigator' from an xterm, error messages from navigator go
to that xterm, and when I try to load an image, it shows a bunch of
(repeated) error messages.  Here is a snippet:

navigator-smotif_real:
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  72 (X_PutImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  26570
  Widget hierarchy of resource: unknown

Can anyone help me to interpret this?

Tia.