Re: correct way to move /usr to a new partition..

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 11:40:09PM -0500, rich wrote:

> That's a good suggestion - my question is: is there a linux utility to
> compare directories / files to see if they are the same? Seems like I've
> heard of one, but can't remember...

$ apropos checksum
cksum (1)            - checksum and count the bytes in a file
sum (1)              - checksum and count the blocks in a file
$ apropos md5
md5sum (1)           - generates or checks MD5 message digests
debsums (1)          - Check the md5sums of a package

(those are just a few of the md5 ones... :)

md5 is much nicer than the sum or cksum programs..

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!