IPX woes-want old module and new kernel-possible?

Thanks to earlier suggestions about pinpointing the source of my kernel slowing
down... it is the ipx service causing problems.  While others have noted in
earlier posts ipx issues with the 2.2.x kernels, I found none which involved
a slowdown/lockup of the machine itself.  Don't know if this is a first...?

I would like to move up from 2.0.36.  Does anyone know if one of the higher
versions has the ipx bug resolved?

Also, I have a dilemma.  My token-ring card (Olicom) will compile into the
2.2.9 kernel, but the patch fails on higher versions.  Their suggestion to
patch 2.2.9 for olicom, then use the kernel patches to raise 2.2.9 up higher
also failed.  So I thought about this:

	How about compiling the driver as a module, then recompiling the
kernel at the 2.2.12(13?) level with solely token ring support built in.
Then use it with the module.  Or is this totally brainless?  (Mind you that
I plead ignorance based on being a chemist, not a comp. scientist. ;)

Kenward