ethernet configuration

Hello,
I'm having trouble getting my ethernet to work properly. I'm in a dorm room at a university that supplies ethernet and I KNOW it worked last year. I'm dual booted and I used my winmodem in Win98 over the summer (and unsuccessfully tried to configure it for Linux). This is all I can think that would have disturbed the ethernet configuration.

The driver is "tulip" and it's a Netgear card.
Here's what I've done so far (at the advice of others):
I did "modprobe tulip" and then "dhcpcd eth0", but that still didn't solve the problem. Neither commands returned anything.

my /etc/init.d/network file contians:
#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0

The lights on my card are actually lit up and blinking,(supposedly showing data transmission, I think) but I can't ping any servers or anything.